Anyone can join the team as long as they complete all membership requirements by the designated dates. This includes membership dues, donations, roster sign-up, uniform order, bike order (if desired), and equipment order (if desired). Membership is limited to 50 members. All Spark employees are members of the team if they choose to be and complete the minimum fundraising requirements. They do not count against the membership cap and do not pay membership dues. Athletes competing at the Pro and Elite levels are not required to pay membership dues but are required to fundraise. These athletes must meet the approval of the team leadership and compete in the team uniform at all events. This level of athlete adds legitimacy to the team and will only help increase membership potential.
Annual Dues are $200 for New Members ($100 renewal after that). This covers the cost of a complete cycling, running, or triathlon uniform as well any additional expenses the team incurs for events and other supplies. Additional uniforms will be available to purchase for those competing in multiple disciplines. Dues are waived for athletes competing at the Pro and Elite levels. Dues can be mailed to the store, paid in person, or paid ONLINE.
Each member is required to join the team’s roster on the Homes For Our Troops Team Site and collect $250 in donations by 31MAR2013. Members can continue to collect donations throughout the season. Members who collect over $1,000 in donations receive a team winter jacket or other uniform item of their choice. There will also be prizes awarded at the end of the season to those who have raised the highest amount of donations. The charitable work that we do as a team is what separates Team Spark from other teams. There are rewards for fundraising beyond the minimum requirement:
- RAISE $500: Extra Jersey or Running Top!
- RAISE $750: Spark Transition Bag!
- RAISE $1000: Team Winter Jacket!
- HIGHEST FUNDRAISER: Garmin Edge 800 Bundle!
The Team will also have a group fundraiser in the late winter/early spring to help all members reach their goal.
The team will be managed primarily by Michael O’Connell (Owner of Spark BRS). Other officers will be needed such as Treasurer, Secretary, and other positions that will be created as the team grows. Also an MTB Team Captain, Road Team Captain, Triathlon Team Captain, and Cyclocross Team Captain will be needed. These captains will lead training and organize these teams for events in order to maximize team exposure at each event.
Code Of Conduct
It is extremely important that members of the team behave professionally and respectfully at all times as they represent Homes For Our Troops, Spark, and any sponsor. A Code Of Conduct will be written and voted on by the team, which will include the following values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. These values are what drive our armed forces and so will they drive this team. Any member observed at any event behaving outside of these values will be given a warning by any member of the team and reported to team leadership. A second offense will result in a review of that member’s eligibility status for the team. Proper conduct will be valued much higher than athletic performance.
Members are not required to race but are encouraged to race in at least 5 events per season in any discipline. All members who compete are to wear their Spark/HFOT Race Kit. Racing without it sends the message that the member in question does not support the team. However, we understand that there may be charitable events where you may wish to support a friend’s organization. For the sake of simplicity and to avoid confusion at registration; always register under the team name, “TEAM SPARK”.
Obviously every member will have their own desired race schedule but there are some key events that we’d like to have a large presence at. These events are popular with many team members and more can be added to the list as members bring them up.
- Patriot Half-Ironman Triathlon
- Whaling City Triathlon
- Escape The Cape Triathlon
- Sharon’s Back Triathlon
- Cranberry Trifest
- Buzzard’s Bay Triathlon
- Other key triathlons
- Vermont 50 MTB Race
- Root 66 MTB Race Series
- EFTA MTB Race Series
- Massasoit Lung Challenge MTB Race
- Landmine MTB Race
- Other key MTB races
- Ride The Vineyard MS Ride
- The Flattest Century In The East
- Other key road races, criteriums, and charity rides
- 5 Miles Home Veteran’s Day 5 Miler
- Christopher’s Run 5k Run for Diabetes
- Spooky Spooner 10k/5k
- Greg’s Run 5k
- America’s Hometown Thanksgiving 5k
- Other key road races
How To Join
There are several steps necessary to join the team. Many are required by our sponsors. It is essential that every member of the team completes each step before the specified dates. Failure to do so will result in non-delivery of uniform and equipment orders.
- Contact Mike O’Connell at Spark and give him your contact information. He will forward you a packet with all necessary forms and links to required material.
- Complete and sign Member Application, Code of Conduct, and Waiver.
- Pay your membership dues by mail, in store, or ONLINE.
- Purchase a one-year license from USA Cycling or USA Triathlon. This is not required but it will save you tons of money if you frequently race.
- Register on the Team’s HFOT Donation Page and begin fundraising @ http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/TR/Events/DonationForm?pg=team&fr_id=1070&team_id=2860
- Join the Team Spark for Homes For Our Troops Facebook Group (if you have a facebook account) @ http://www.facebook.com/groups/179249955502441/
- Place your uniform order.
- Place your Specialized bike/equipment order by 1MAR2013.
- Fundraise the minimum amount of $250 for HFOT by 31MAR2013.